4.4 38
Arkansas 79592
Sep 24 thru Sep 30, 2007
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This campground surprised me. It is located in an area of Fort Chaffee that has been turned over to the nearby town of Fort Smith, but the campground remains under Ft. Chaffee control. Most of the residents appear to be long term in their RVs. The host, a retired Army CSM, told me anybody can stay, even anybody off the street. Contrary to the "book", some of the sites are 50 amp, and all have sewer. In some cases, water connections are shared with another camper. The park is a great place to be to see the local attractions, and Ft. Smith has a lot of interesting history. Finding the campground is not easy. DON'T go in the main gate; you'll be turned around. If you come in from the east on Hwy 22, go past the main gate and turn onto the "post" at the next street to your left. If coming from the west on Hwy 22 (Rogers Blvd), turn right about 1 mile after you pass the Hwy 255 junction (you'll cross over some RR tracks immediately before turning to the right). Whether you come from the east or west, enter (there's no gate and no street sign, but it's Mahogany Street), take the first right (no street sign there either, but later you'll see that it's Ft. Chaffee Rd). Continue for 1.1 mile, past a long row of warehouse type buildings, and turn right onto Darby Street. Continue straight to the dead end, where the campground is. The host tells me a new campground (actually, two new campgrounds) are being built on Ft. Chaffee proper. The first to open will be about 20 sites intended for short stays, like 2 weeks. It will be nice; level, full hookup, 50 amp, pads, etc. The second campground will be for longer stays.
ST
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or
Cron Job Starts