4.4 38
Arkansas 79609
25-26 April 2010
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We had not stayed here before so this was a new experience. As long as you follow the directions, you will find the camp - new signs on some of the internal roads help. Once there at about 4:30PM we found the Camp Host gone, but two other men immediately came over to assist, one being an Army E-6. Both suggested taking an open site and just filling out a registration in the bathhouse/office, or seeing the host when he got back around 6. I said I'd like a treeless site so our rooftop satellite dish would work, and immediately the guy helping suggested a site that fit the bill perfectly. Roads in the camp are narrow and there is an open drainage ditch alongside the main road, making backing in to the sites along the road somewhat tricky, but it can be done. Overall we found the camp to be old and a little rundown, but really nice folks; an old, but clean bathhouse, newer shower enclosures, and plenty of hot water from good showerheads. Excellent local TV reception from several channels with an antenna. No wi-fi, but Verizon G3 network card worked great. The east portion of Fort Chaffee has been turned over to the local county/city (Barling, AR), and the streets have been upgraded, repaved, and the old WWII barracks now house many small businesses. Even though the campground is now on civilian land, Fort Chaffee still controls and oversees the park itself. Preference is given military, but civilians are allowed to use the park as well. Several fulltimers are in residence, but it appeared there was a set aside of a certain number of sites for military personnel. Since it was a Sunday when we checked in, the PX and Commissary were closed, and both were located on the 'Main Base' which required an ID to enter. LOTS of open land, very quiet, and a great place to run/walk if you're into exercise. The town of Barling is a 3-4 mile drive, and there is a good grocery store, CV's. Going west from Barling about 4 miles brings you to Ft. Smith with a big Wal-Mart, reasonably priced Shell gas & diesel, fast foods of all kinds, etc. I would stay here again. VERY quiet and peaceful at night.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or