3.8 86
California 185260
Sept 1-30, 2017
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I love the staff but I hate the pest problems. We have stayed here a few times. My husband is active duty and in a disabled vet. We chose to full time in a brand new huge mansion on wheels. We have to bounce around because the longest military campgrounds will let you stay is a month. This month we ended up at admiral baker and we got a mouse problem a couple weeks into our stay. Last year that we stayed at admiral baker, the ant infestation was really bad but this time they said they sprayed a week before we moved in and we have had no ant problems. The mouse problem however is really bad. Being next to a wooded area because of the river, the mice are coming in and looking for a place for the winter I guess. I spoke to a top rated exterminator in the area and he said the park needs to do something. I would say mice are worse than ants. These things will chew wires and such. If you don't have a good eye to catch these mice in your rig right away, they could have a nest built and cause serious damage. There is a product called "stay away mice" and it's by the same makers of "fresh cab" it's supposed to be a good natural repellent. Since being here at admiral baker, in the past 5 days, I've caught 5 mice in traps and all our food that is in plastic or boxed, is in containers that the mice can't get in. You have to be careful and very diligent when eradicating these pests. I suggest you look into everything on line right down to setting the traps because if your scent is on them, that could make a difference in trapping. We have kids and a baby and the idea of mouse pee and poop on the floor where he is playing and then putting his hands in his mouth is enough to make me flip! You have to bleach everything these mice touch. When I'm done cleaning with bleach, I use peppermint oil but you have to use a lot and apply again every day. I had a mouse come back after a couple days that I thought they were gone because there was no mouse poop. Also make sure you have nothing in your cars and maybe throw some "stay away mice" or peppermint oil in there too. The mouse problem at admiral baker is so bad that one morning, I witnessed a mouse jump off the top of the neighbor's trailer, he kinda slid down the side. These pesky things are capable of amazing tricks. The location of this park is nice but the pest problem has not been solved. I read a comment made by the facility in 2011 that they had pest control but I highly doubt there is any bait or birth control or something put out for these mice. I'm really thinking there is no nest and hoping not but I think they are just coming by in the early morning hours and searching for food. Don't even have a speck of crumb laying around and be sure to take your trash out before you leave the rig or go to sleep. Also if you are trapping, pick a spot they have been where you saw poop and don't clean that spot, lay your trap there because it makes the mice more comfortable with the scent. This is my first time in my life ever having mice and I'm 34. Remember to have dishes clean because they will come for food on dishes too. If they get poop in your dishes or pans or oven, anywhere even the carpet, be sure to use bleach to clean asap. Good luck trying to plug holes in a RV...? Maybe put some traps outside under your rig. There is an electric shock trap that seems great, I'd try that outside. Those nap traps are the best but be sure to watch a video so you set them right. I have experienced many people who think they know how to set the trap but they are not doing it correctly. Remember that these things can nest anywhere and they like it warm, even your engine or generator or air conditioner. And be sure to wipe out your floor vents of mouse poop before turning on the furnace. Good luck! It's a pain and lots of work! Staying at the beach is always the best option and I'd rather deal with roaches than mice, I've decided that since my first mouse problem ever. I wish I could just bomb these things and be done but they keep coming in from outside. And they come and go because I won't see them for a day or so and then boom, mouse poop. Be sure you baby's car seat doesn't have any crumbs too!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 6

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
December 10, 2017
Interesting that for your first review you post a negative one. I actually stayed at Admiral Baker at the same time you did last Sept. We had some ants but I always carry spray for those as you have them everywhere you camp. I did not see a single mouse anywhere in the campground the whole time we were there. Anyone that does stay long term in an RV of any type would know to put steel wool on your tires and any other areas that could be a potential entry point for them. Its sad that you post such negativity about a nice place to stay like Admiral Baker. You will have mice and ants and sometimes other critters that are going to try to get into your trailer, thats just the way it is, thats camping or as it is glamping for you at its best. Personally I alsways keep any type of food in a sealed container, not the box or bag it comes in, and always clean up inside and outside. Anytime you have food out, crumbs will attract critters they can smell that stuff from great distances. Enjoy your camping experience and make sure ANY food items are put securely away and protect yourself by simple things as I mentioned, life will be better in your trailer for sure.
1 results - showing 1 - 1