4.3 170
Florida 443702
20-27 Feb. 2015
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This was our second visit to KW FAM Park at Sigbee. The first was the summer of 2013. Plenty of full hook up sites in the summer. My wife has just retired and this was the third leg of a four part retirement vacation for her. We read all the articles on winter RVing at KW and found that all the great information paid off. We have a 38 foot fiver and arrived after hours on 20 Feb. 2015. The camp host on duty arrived promptly and logged us in and had us on a dry camp site at Sigbee in less than an hour. Our fiver has a built in Onan 5500 watt generator. And our Christmas present to ourselves was a Tailgater antenna and Dish service. Did I say the weather was perfect? Mid to high 70's all week. With mid 60's at night. Generator hours were 7am to 11 pm. Most campers had the external twin generator set ups. Gasoline driven. The only discerning thing was some had marine type fuel tanks laying on the ground near the generators. There is no requirement to have fire extinguishers posted by these generators. Although several sites did have them. The best part of these generators was that they are quite and fuel is relative inexpensive. My Onan works uses propane. propane is not cheap on KW. But the convenience of operation including automatic operation was nice. The fresh water and dump stations were clean and close by. I used the recommend the 45 gallon water bladder sold by Camping World. It proved to be quite easy to refill my fresh water everyday. We used our internal facilities for everything. The only thing I added was a small water pump to off load the bladder into our fresh water holding tank. You can do the gravity feed fill but that takes over an hour and on newer rigs like mind, putting the bladder on the top of your truck due to the height of the recessed fill opening for the fresh water tank (with the pump, I keep the bladder on the tail gate). I also made use of the latest 35 gallon waste, roll away (grey) water tank emptied on a daily basis too. I did this routine every morning and I was done after an hour ready to enjoy the rest of the day. Our first dry camping experienced went off without a hitch. We lacked for nothing as far as amenities are concerned. our neighbors were fantastic and everyone appeared to truly enjoy being in KW. The we missed the worst part of winter back in the NE USA to boot! And I will request Trumbo Point next time too. It give easy access to KW downtown and makes biking to town a reality. Parking a big truck in KW will set you back $25-30 dollars a day. We will be back this summer but I would do dry camping again. Maybe install a couple of solar panels (there were a few in use at other sites) and a 1000 watt inverter so we could watch satellite TV after 11 PM. and save on the cost of propane.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or