Georgia 152320
Dec 27 to 1 Jan 2011
(Updated: July 30, 2014)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

As of Dec 2010 MWR does TAKE RESERVATIONS. PROs: Great location for Savannah and the large adjacent TWO story Mall. Wonderful and helpful Camphost Herschel Schenck (albeit he's a contender for becoming new Chief of Outdoor Rec so may move on soon...). Modern Pedestal Hookups with Cable. Short walking trail in the woods around the campground. Traffic noise is not great (but always present) and air traffic is infrequent (at least in Dec). Reasonable price (I paid $15/night). Has a recycling Dumpster. CONS: Sites are not paved or level. My site was not level in any direction and for the first time ever the Front of my Fiver was so high I did not have to duck my head under the bedroom/around the hitch! Road is more dirt than gravel. INFO: Small Campground with single loop. Most sites are pull-through but right on the road with just the Pedestal and short distance between, so all campground traffic is very close. A few sites are back-in inside the loop. If you know how far your Driver's side Slide(s) extend you can position better. My door/steps missed the nice concrete patio by a few feet because I wanted my rear slide to clear the pedestal and bollards from behind, but I could have put my slide next to them as it was would have cleared them when extended. The prior week a car and a RV were damaged by falling limbs in a windstorm (not all sites have trees above). If you don't have Vehicle Stickers (as USAF has done way with) you must use the Montgomery Street Gate on the North end of this large Hunter Army Airfield. Herschel or MWR will provide a pass to use the adjacent RIO Street Gate after arrival, but you still must show ID cards. To get to Montgomery Street Gate: From I-16 take Exit 164A to I-516 (South/Lynes Parkway), stay on right and turn RIGHT on Montgomery Street. Its a few blocks to the gate. To get to the Lotts Island Campground, take the first left at the Base AAFES Service Station (Leonard St, then Neal St), going straight through a 4-Way Stop, the at 1 Way Stop for Lightning Road, turn LEFT and follow Lighting Rd to Perimeter Rd, turning right on Perimeter Rd. After a long ways keep a look out for turning LEFT onto Rio Rd. Follow Rio Rd to the Rio Gate/Lotts Island Rd. The campground is on the right "behind" the gate and you turn left on the road to enter the campground (a traffic cone helped locate it when we were there). Parkways provide speedy access to Historic District. Take lots of quarters for on street parking meters (range from 10-30 minutes, or 2-10 hours depending on location) or parking lots have ticket dispensers that take charge cards. Free parking after 5PM. We enjoyed two Walking tours, great dining, Tybee Island, etc.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or