Review Detail

3.4 48
20 May 2016
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

What a spectacular view of Lake Michigan. We were able to spend two weeks plus at this campground (27-30 Apr and 6-20 May 2016).  We made two trips, one for three nights to get the lay of the land, the second visit was for two weeks.  The location is wonderful, right on the lake with a back in site (#14) that allows us to view the lake through our front and side windows. We did have issues trying to locate the main gate.  We parked our coach in a large lot on Sheridan Ave and drove our jeep around to locate the main gate, the Navy Lodge and the campground.  I suggest following Hwy 137 to Martin Luther King Jr Dr., turn right across the railroad tracks then turn right on Sheridan Rd.  The main gate is tow traffic lights down on Farragut Ave.  We had no issues going through the main gate with our ID cards, all of the gates guards where professional, polite and in most cases friendly.  The information Kokomo36 provided in August, 2014 was excellent.  The road signs directing you to the RV Campground will take you to the Naval Lodge to register.  A few tight turns and you drive across the installation to get to the campground.  Tight in some places and lots of sailors moving around.  I rated "Amenities/Facilities" 3 because of the condition of the campground and the location of the water and dump.  The weather left a lot to be desired, we had rain most of the 17 days we were there.  The grounds turned into small lakes and lots of mud.  Impossible to get into our coach without stepping through the water and mud.  The sites are close together and did not allow much space to relax next to your coach.  The fresh water is still .3 miles down the road and you have to park on the road close to a large bend in the road.  I had to be a road guard to ensure the vehicles could safely get by while I filled my fresh water tank.  The dump station is another .3 miles along the same road and presents a few challenges also.  You can obtain Propane close to the dump station at the Marina.  The laundry, showers and latrines were in the best condition of any campground we have stayed at.  They were extremely clean and well maintained.  We did find a NEX, gas station and Food Court on the installation, the Main NEX and Commissary are off base.  The staff at the Lodge and the Marina where great.  All friendly professional individuals willing and able to assist.  No improvements to the facilities, campground had ditches across the road, lots of pot holes, poor drainage, 30A power.  The location, view and the people make this a place we will return to in the future.  Overall a fantastic RV campsite.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or
Cron Job Starts