• skinstains's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone might be able to tell me why so many
of these campgrounds don't offer tent camping ? I am looking to finally
(been trying for 3 years) get on the road and see some of this country we
call home but can only afford it on a motorbike and in a tent. This leaves
a lot of the nicer campgrounds in the more popular areas beyond my reach.
I have spent some time trying to figure out why the "no tents" thing seems
to exist and can't seem to come up with a good reason. Does anybody here
know ? Or care to take a guess ? Thanks.
Last Edit: by skinstains.

Tent Camping 1 week 2 days ago #16278

• RVPK in the MONW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
With the Navy facilities, tent camping falls under the Parks and Picnic arena, where the RV parks mostly fall under the lodging program. I would contact the Community Rec department and see if they have a rec area on base. Most do.

Tent Camping 3 days 18 hours ago #16284

• Swim-bike-run-1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Elitist fifth wheelers and espcially a lotta class a motorhomers see tent camping as low life's & not good enough for military campgrounds and complain in attempts to get rid of tent camping...espcially if it's some older single male camper...it's illegal in their eyes???

Only tenting I see not getting stink eye from fellow campers seemingly is scout groups, whom tent to hijack tent camping quarters...why they can't go be alone in a scout centric area is beyond me???

Tent Camping 2 days 20 hours ago #16297

• skinstains
  • skinstains's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I get the whole "not good enough" stink-eye as I've dealt with it for decades. I didn't however think it would actually make it to the commander of said bases. I mean we're talking military campgrounds. Hasn't everyone in the military spent an awful lot of their days in tents ? I guess as the world gets softer the younger folks don't care to "rough it" in a tent and the demand is low. I also understand that the majority of military campground campers are retired military and don't care to sleep on the ground. Terra firma isn't my first pick, I would certainly prefer to be in a nice Class A with my car and motorbike behind it but, without winning the lottery it's not going to happen so I'm making do with what I have.

I just figured that everywhere a giant house on wheels with water, sewer and electrical needs is welcome a small quiet motorbike and 4x8 tent would (should) be. I will look into the community recreation thing as I never thought of that. Whilst mapping out my trip to include nothing but military campgrounds I quickly learned that the first thing I needed to do was check each possible campground for tent camping permission before all else.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds