Louisiana 117198
Dec 22-Jan 2, 2012
(Updated: January 23, 2012)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We were the first campers to stay in the new park. We called while on the road to NOLA and were assigned a space in the old camp ground. We arrived late at night, could not find the assigned space and wandered over to the new camp ground in search of out space. Still couldn't find our assigned space but we were tired, pulling a car and tow dolly so we pulled into a pull-through and set up camp for the night. The new park has one pull-through space, #36. We purchased a surge protector a few months back and thank goodness we did! When I plugged in at space #36 I received a bad circuit warning. I also had purchased a 30 amp extension cord some time back so I located a good circuit at a nearby space and plugged in there for the night. The pads are nice and surrounded by new grass. The power/water/sewer hook-ups are nice and very conveniently located. The next morning we found the MWR check-in on the other side of the base and they allowed us to stay in the new park. We told them about the problems with the electricity in half the park and moved to space #11 where we knew the power was ok. The cost at the new park was $20 per night, which is a little high at a military park with no TV cable or internet. Satellite users shouldn't have any issues but local TV reception is a little slim. The only other military park we have paid higher for the same amenities is at Del Mar Beach, Camp Pendleton, CA. The base has a brand new NEX and Commissary (built in 2011). Check-in will eventually be moving to the park itself and there is an un-numbered pad which will house the office. The bath house and laundry is located at the center of the park. Bring quarters for the washer/dryers. There is wildlife on the base and snakes and alligators have been spotted, as well as birds of prey, so campers with small children and pets should keep the critters in mind and don't let the little ones wander away. New Orleans is close but way too far to walk, so visitors will need transportation if they want to visit the French Quarter. There are not many places to park a big RV in downtown NOLA. Two additional campers came in the following week and pulled into space #36. Neither had surge protectors and both experienced electrical problems with their rigs. Despite assurances that the electrical issues had been checked out, the experience of the two other campers forced the park's hand and further investigation revealed that half the park had been cross-wired. The problem was corrected by the time we left. I saw another RVer at Camp San Luis Obispo with a surge protector a few months back and inquired. The lady told me of a bad experience at Fort Lewis, WA which prompted me to purchase one for our rig. It turned out to be a cheap insurance policy for our electrical system. After driving across Texas, I think my next insurance investment for my Class-C will be an animal guard bumper for the front end!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or