3.8 156
April 24, 2013
(Updated: April 26, 2013)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This is our last stop whenever we are returning home from a southern trip. This time we arrived unannounced at about 1300. The office was closed with no indication as to when it would reopen. A sign on the door said to pick an overflow site and a full hookup site would be assigned next day. The office hours were said to be 1030-1630 Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was going to get to 31 degrees so we needed electricity. We waited until 1330 and still no show at office. We called both phone numbers posted on the door without getting responses. We decided to park in a site and see what happens. There were only about a dozen sites being used. As in the past there were no cones blocking any sites. I checked back at the office again at 1400 and 1600 and still no show. We stayed overnight without incident. We got on the road next day at about 0800 and called the office at 1030 to see if they wanted our payment. My wife was able to make contact and paid them with our credit card. She asked the office person what happens if the person doesn't call to pay. The office person said they have our vehicle license number and we would get a letter in the mail in a few days. What a way to run a campground. Now, about the closure of Highway 444. Nothing much has changed as to route to campground. From the north, go in the same way as in the past. From the south, as we did, we got off I-675 at Exit 17 and then Highway 444 and made a left turn into the base. Then drive thru the base to the campground. In the past we stayed on 444 thru town and turned onto Highway 235 to the back gate. If you do that now it going to be confusing if you are not familiar with the town of Fairborn. They have rerouted 444 onto Kaufman which runs along side the old 444 but comes out north of 235. So the best bet is to go into the main gate and drive thru the base.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or