4.6 36
South Carolina 170805
May 26-27 2009
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We arrived early afternoon of Tuesday after the long Memorial Day weekend...very quiet with only about five RVs in the campground. No problem finding a site. The manager was friendly and helpful. What a beautiful setting...a large, hilly recreation area sprinkled with tall pines sitting on a sparkling lake. And did I mention quiet...peaceful...serene? Glorious after a day on the road. But the size and capacity of this recreation area is such that I don't think we'd like to be here on a major holiday weekend. The manager said it had been a very busy Memorial Day weekend with all the cabins full, tenters, and RVers, not to mention lots of day-trippers out for water activities, a picnic, or BBQ. The concrete pads are not level but, on site R11, we leveled up with only about three inches of lift on the back wheels. Other sites looked as though they might be about the same amount off-kilter. Each electric box is set up for 50/30/20 amp connections and was 124 volts ac at the power post. The bath house was clean. There are adequate toilets but only one shower each in the mens & womens sides. This is the only bath house to serve a large recreation area so, on a busy weekend, there might be a few folks standing in line for the facilities. This was a one night stop for us on the drive home from West Virginia, but I could definitely see spending some quality time here to do some lake fishing which, the manager said, is pretty good here. I did throw a lure into the lake around dusk and got one little small mouth bass and a sunfish for my efforts. But I think a serious effort from a boat might yield some good results. Oh yes, they do rent boats...both self powered and motor powered. The boat pier in front of the office is a floating dock made up of plastic modules. Many of those modules have broken tops (the walking surfaces) which can be dangerous, both as a trip hazard and a cut/scrape/puncture hazard to barefoot or flip flop wearing folks. Considering how well-kept everything else is, the poor condition of the dock was a surprise. I hope MWR will put this at the top of their maintenance list before someone gets hurt. Our Sprint cell phone and 3G EVDO Internet Access Card both had great signal, so we had high speed Internet.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or