South Carolina 96535
Dec. 14-22, 2010
(Updated: December 29, 2010)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

What's not to like? Other than check-in of course. Check-in is at the ITT office in the Marine Corps Exchange and the parking lot IS NOT big-rig friendly. Our advice would be to go to the campground and park your rig in your assigned space. You can set up except for water and electric and go to the MCX in the toad or puller to check in and get your keys. I talked to the manager and he said they are trying hard to come up with a better way of doing it. This campground is the old base trailer park and therefore the parking spaces are massive (100' deep and 55' wide). They could be considered handicap access spaces because the gravel all around makes wheelchair movement possible. Each space has an aluminum picnic table, concrete pad, electric, water, sewer hookups (and we understand cable TV is in the works--which is good because TV out of Savannah and Charleston is a bit iffy). Each site has a choice of 50/30/20 amps. Our Verizon cell coverage was minimal and the Internet card gave us a slow but workable access. The community building has new handicap access showers and bathrooms as well as a laundry room (2 washers, 2 dryers at $1 each). If you are up at 4 a.m. most mornings you can see recruits marching by enroute to the Crucible or other field training. Less than a mile from the picnic area called Elliot's Beach where there are tables and pavilions as well as a boat launch and field toilets. Stay away from the Marine Corps Exchange on Thursday and Friday when it is over-run by new Marines and their families. Recruit graduation is almost every Friday at 9 a.m. on the Peatross Parade Ground. The museum is well worth the visit. And if you are a history or naval services nut like us, there are the remains of a wooden dry-dock in the park across from the Commanding General's residence. They are planning to build cabins in the near future and then expand the campground.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
December 30, 2010
This base motorcycle restriction is a real PAIN! My understanding is that because of the young troops coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan with a pocket full of money and buying motorcycles the accidents and injuries have increased accordingly. Seems to me if you are licensed to ride on state and federal highways you should be allowed to ride on military bases: you are either a responsible rider or not and it doesn't matter if you are on or off base. I guess it’s just part of the process within the nanny state we now live in. Semper Fi
TD
Tom Darby
1 results - showing 1 - 1