4.0 28
Texas 74094
May 2007
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

The West Fort Hood Travel Camp is just that - a travel camp. Expect nothing above and beyond a parking spot that is maintained (lawn mowed etc), built for trailers with few slides, and very tight back-in accommodations. Arriving here, I had to wait for 3 different neighbors to move their cars/trucks to have barely enough room to back my trailer into the space. Parking is tight, although most are good about staying in their space. This park is an eye sore - the rows are all vertical spaces and some sites are not kept very clean by their residents. A few homesteaders have built porches that look nice, but are a fire hazard if you're near them since you can't get between the motor homes to escape if need be. Be wary of staying here during tornado season, the emergency plan involves you traveling to the other side of post to a gymnasium - it's an awful plan, but they've had no disasters yet. Also, be aware that the West Fort Hood Airfield/Killeen Airport is right there - so you'll hear UAVs and many other aircraft taking off. There's also an artillery impact range which you can hear rounds impacting at all throughout the night during training exercises - it's not super loud, but it was enough to wake me up and think there was a thunderstorm approaching. The staff is friendly enough, but I've seen MWR locations with much better hospitality. They're basically there to collect dues, tell you where to park, and make sure the grass isn't out of control. They do a good job of managing irritations though - if music is too loud, pets aren't tended to (cleaned after), or other problems, they're proactive about notifying other residents. The only plus side to this location is that it's on 190, with quick access to Copperas Cove, Killeen, or main Fort Hood. If you're just passing through along I-35, I'd recommend staying at Sun Belt RV Camp in Belton along I-35 - similar price, a little nicer with a pool, and right off the interstate.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or
Cron Job Starts