4.2 24
July 31, 2012
(Updated: July 31, 2012)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

There isn’t much to recommend this campground. There are no amenities at the campground or on the base – no bathhouse, restrooms, or laundry, no commissary or exchange. There is no office or camp host at the campground. No sewer hookups at the sites and I had to call the MWR office to get the location of the dump station. It is located about 100 yards north of the campground near a small building between the two RV storage lots. $20 a day is too high for this campground, in my opinion, unless you consider Richmond a prime destination. I guess I shouldn’t complain because there are not too many good camping options in or near Richmond. I am paying $400 for two weeks at the nearby Pocahontas State Park. But I recently left Camp Carlson at Fort Knox and Scott AFB near St. Louis where I paid $15 a day. Both of these campgrounds are much nicer than this one. The campground is small and located 0.75 miles from the back gate on the left side, just after you pass the second RV storage area. The exact location is 37.42548, -77.447043 on Google Maps. When I arrived the grass had been freshly mowed and the campground presented an attractive appearance. There is a row of large oak trees at each end of the campground. The surrounding area is an industrial area, probably large warehouses – the entire base may be an industrial area for all I know. I did not unhook and explore. The campground has four easy back-in and two long pull-thru sites and each one is fairly level. Lot of space between sites. Roads and sites are gravel except for the entrance road at one end which is asphalt. I made a reservation by calling the number listed in the U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks website and spoke to Charles. He took my credit card info and cheerfully answered my questions. He is located in a warehouse somewhere but I didn’t bother to ask directions. You can also pay using a drop box at the campground. I guess the word hasn’t gotten out on this campground because it was empty when I arrived. It has only been open since April.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 2

Comments

To write a comment please register or