Virginia 90091
October 13, 2012
(Updated: October 14, 2012)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I stopped by to check on this campground because the location is a good one. It is under new management, and the young lady I talked to was very friendly and let me drive through. The check-in building has been renovated and there are improvements being made to the rest of the facilities. All the homesteaders have been evicted. There are now 5 used RVs and 4 mini-cabins for rent in addition to the 8 larger cabins. On this day...aside for the larger cabins...there was nobody in any of the RV spots! The place was deserted! My wife and I checked out the bathhouse...aside from looking like a WWII bunker, the place was relatively clean but the fixtures were old and need replacing. The ladies side smelled "old and musty" and received a grade of a "C-". The men's side didn't smell but received a grade of "C" for peeling paint. The campsites are back in the woods, so there really isn't a view from them. Some are tight in the trees and could be a challenge for rigs bigger than 30 feet. Some require a 90 degree turn. The location is great from a "things to do" standpoint. The beaches at Fort Story look out at the entrance to Chesapeake Bay so there are always large ships sailing by. Fishing is good there too! Virginia Beach is 10 minutes down the road. First Landing state park is next door. While we didn't camp here this time (we were down the road at Dam Neck Annex) we'll keep it on our list. I didn't rate it higher than 2 stars overall because we didn't stay.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or