Virginia 74929
2 June 2013
(Updated: June 04, 2013)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I drove to the campground to check it out. It is in a scenic location but when I called the MWR they confirmed $60 a night. I filled in the ICE comment card about the price being so high and I recieved the following from the outdoor rec director: "I am sorry for your disappointment in our price at the Fort Belvoir Travel Camp. This is a brand new facility and is a revenue generating business for Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation at Fort Belvoir. The price was set after we compared other local and military campgrounds. Our prices are higher than our local competitors as we offer services, amenities and location above and beyond what anyone else has to offer. When determining price for our Travel Camp we did do lots of research, site visits and comparisons with the local military, regional, state and private Campgrounds. Many of our competitors that we compared to offer basic sites with gravel, 30 AMP electric hook-up, most site are without sewer and only a few have cable and WiFi. To better explain why our price is $60.00 per night here are our amenities and site specs. Each of our sites are brand new with a view of the Potomac River. Each site is made of concrete, the length is 40 feet long and each pad is 20 feet wide and include a 10ft by 10ft concrete extension with a picnic table. For RVs larger than 40ft we have Pull thru spaces that have an additional 12ft on both ends for your one additional vehicle at no additional charge. Each site also includes: water, 50 AMP electric hook-ups, sewer, cable, WiFi, a picnic table, and a BBQ Grill fire pit. The travel camp is gated with a brand new private shower and restroom accommodations. Within the same building there is a coin operated laundry facility. We do not charge anything extra for additional persons, vehicles or services. The Fort Belvoir Travel Camp is located within Tompkins Basin along the Potomac River. Each site has a great view of the Potomac River. The location of the travel camp and our close proximity to the DC metropolitan area make us a perfect tourist/vacation destination. Fort Belvoir is a 10 minute drive to Mount Vernon and only 20 miles from downtown DC. The travel camp is located in a perfect location that offers miles of trails, two new ADA accessible fishing piers and a recreational day use park with a playground, volleyball net, picnic area and a small beach. DFMWR at Fort Belvoir also has swimming pools, golf course, field houses, gyms, Auto Shop, Arts and Craft shop, framing shop and a bowling alley to enjoy during your stay. Other amenities on post include a movie theater, PX, Home and Garden & Commissary shopping, Spa and other recreational opportunities that are comparable to the local private campgrounds and far exceeds the other local military campgrounds. We also have mass transit that will take you to the metro or into DC if you are interested in those services during your stay. We encourage you to come visit our facility at any time and take a tour with us prior to making your decision that we are too pricey. We think you will be impressed with this brand new facility and hopefully you will change your mind about the value." While these are some valid points I don't think they justify a rate that is 3 times higher than say Cheatham Annex, near Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens or Sea Mist at Virginia Beach, both with new sites and facilities. Sigh.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 14 1

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
September 01, 2013
Wow, I agree with others. For $60 a night you better offer THREE TIMES what other FamCamps are providing, and you simply don't. I smell corporate encroachment. A view of the Potomac River great...but that isn't Shangrila. New showers? Lots of places, including Travis, have new showers. You really do not "far exceed" other campgrounds. Monterey Pines in CA, with world-class golfing in the vicinity and views of the Pacific Ocean, charges $33. What you'll end up with is EMPTY $60 a night spots. It may take you a year to realize that you simply won't draw retirees or military members. We don't have that kind of money!
1 results - showing 1 - 1